NCI Australia is the nation’s most highly-integrated, high-performance research computing environment. NCI is built to deliver on national priorities and research excellence from across the scientific disciplines. We are driven by our primary objective of raising the ambition, impact, and outcomes of Australian research.
The national and strategic nature of NCI is demonstrated, not only in the reach and outcomes of the service that we provide, but also in our funding model, bringing together the shared responsibilities of the Australian Government and the research sector. The Australian Government provides world-class infrastructure to NCI through its National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS), and the research sector, comprising universities, national science agencies, industry and the Australian Research Council, collectively contribute two-thirds of the annual recurrent costs.
The realisation of our values through the unique combination of infrastructure, software and skills is pivotal in delivering transformational outcomes that manifest in the advancement of social, commercial, policy and environmental gains for the nation.
- NCI is research and outcomes driven, constantly seeking to develop and evolve its service portfolio to deliver on researchers’ requirements, institutional research needs, and national research priorities.
- NCI aims to deliver a national benefit by enhancing the outcomes of individual research projects and longer run research programs undertaken by government, science agencies, universities, and industry from across the country.
- NCI’s research-driven agenda is underpinned by deep engagement with a broad range of research organisations, centres and communities across Australia and the world — which, in turn, drives the relevance, agility and value of its services.
- The quality and depth of NCI’s infrastructure, expertise and experience deliver transformational outcomes to researchers that are on par with world’s best practice, and, in some cases, are world-leading, maintaining NCI’s position as an innovation leader in computationally- and data-intensive methods.
Based at The Australian National University, we provide integrated high-performance computing and high-performance data services to more than 4,000 researchers at a number of the national science agencies, including the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Geoscience Australia and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, along with more than 35 Australian universities, eight Australian Research Council Centres of Excellence, several other NCRIS capabilities, and several medical research institutes and industry partners.
We are home to the nation’s fastest supercomputer, its highest-performance research cloud, its fastest filesystems and its largest research data repository. Our staff are renowned nationally and internationally for their expertise.
Access to NCI services is available through:
- Shares for the co-investing partner organisations (ANU, CSIRO, Australian Bureau of Meteorology, Geoscience Australia, Intersect Australia, Queensland Cyberinfrastructure Foundation, ACE CRC, and a consortium of universities including ANU, Monash University, the University of Adelaide, the University of NSW, the University of Queensland, the University of Sydney, RMIT University, and Deakin University);
- The National Computational Merit Allocation Scheme, for researchers at publicly funded research agencies, and Australian higher education institutions that are eligible to receive funding from the Australian Research Council—based on research merit and computational suitability;
- The NCI Flagship Scheme for those projects that have been granted access to support under this scheme;
- Commercial and Industry Access Scheme